Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Discuss your Extreme 2 thoughts here.

Hey, we haven't forgotten our roots as a Music Video Game station. Talk about DDR/IIDX and all that note smashing here.

Discuss your Extreme 2 thoughts here.

Postby sephiroth1215 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:14 pm

Today is the release date and for those of you getting it talk here. Besides the forum over on DDRfreak is going to go crazy (not like it's not already) and will jump a million pages, most of it being the same thing over and over. So here's our little discussion, I like you guys more than some of the people on DDRfreak anyway and respect more of what you say. I will post ASAP but I won't be able to play until tonight since I have class from 9 to 3 and will be very tired afterwards. Until then, happy shopping :D
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby sephiroth1215 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:04 pm

MINOR SPOILERS

So I read some posts without spoiling it for myself and I hear it has a lot of songs from ultramix. So it seems this might be our version of Festival. I hear of 3 10's so far one is sakura and I'm sure another is outer limits. Sigh I guess this can be good if I didn't have UM.

P.S.- Yes this does mean that Thuggie D. has made his return :roll:
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Sakurina » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:03 pm

sephiroth1215 wrote:So it seems this might be our version of Festival.

Uh, Extreme US was our version of Festival. They were identical except for the songlists. Unless you mean that the songlists are similar.

I just can't get over the fact that goddamn Captain Jack (Grandale Mix) is on it. I keep myself from buying it for this reason only.

Also... there is such a thing as an EDIT button, you know.
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Postby skie » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:01 pm

Fucking amazing mix. I really like how they've... thought of a new way to make the game appealing for a solo person playing it at home... since it's starting to seem more and more like there won't be a new arcade mix, it's interesting to see the game innovated in different ways for home play

... back to playing more missions ^^;
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby sephiroth1215 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:45 pm

Sakurina wrote:
sephiroth1215 wrote:So it seems this might be our version of Festival.

Uh, Extreme US was our version of Festival. They were identical except for the songlists. Unless you mean that the songlists are similar.

Yes I did mean the songs but that's only going by what I read so far, but I trust in skie 8)

EDIT: Ok the sun is about to rise here on the east and I just finished playing. OMG dance master is sooooooo addictive and there is sooooooooo much to unlock. The secret arrows are crazy and I wonder what they unlock. Right now I don't even care about the songs since this mode was so well done. It's going to take a while to get everythingbut so far I don't need to use the controller for missions like I did most of the time in ex1. I'm tired and I must go to sleep, there is a lot more to say but not enough time to say them. Good thing I don't have class later.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Sakurina » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:24 pm

The major reason that I'm such a pessimist about this mix is the Captain Jack Grandale Mix inclusion, but also because I don't really care enough for this Dance Master mode. I just want to use the same MAX2 unlock system, play for a day, and unlock everything by then, essentially making my PS2 an on-demand arcade machine with a slightly modified songlist.

Let's just say that EX2 is pretty far down on my priority list.
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ninst » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:27 pm

so hey wow, I'm posting something here.

I am loving ex2 so far. Enjoying DMM quite a bit. On the easier stuff I'm getting to see how much my PA has improved from playing IIDX :P As I unlock more and more songs from the missions the songlist just keeps getting better to me. Working through all the liscences at the start was getting a bit repetitive, but now that I'm well into the D branch I'm finding some really fun songs in there. I will admit with some of the carryover stuff from ultramix, it helps that I don't have an xbox, as those songs are still new to me.

As for online play, haven't tried it as I don't have the network adapter. I should be able to steal one away from a friend with an extra he has from beta testing FF11 ps2 way way back, and tehn I can see how that turns out. I just really hope there is no online eyetoy mode. So many bad things can and will come of that.

Edit: do I get a bonus for being registered from near the the time this version went up and just never ever posting? :P
Ninst
New Listener
New Listener

Postby sephiroth1215 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:17 pm

Yeah DMM is great and I'm taking my time with it. I make sure I do every mission and do it by getting a red star. One problem I always have with DDR mixes is I don't like to spoiled and somehow something is always spoiled and I was just told what the last unlock is and it made me very sad to find out that way DAMN YOU GAMEFAQS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway we (as in people who listen to the show) should get together online some time to play, I wasn't around long enough for that time everyone was going to be on UM2 but maybe we can get it to work this time and do it while listening to the show. I have yet to play online so I don't know what it's like but if there is a tournament option and the show will be like a sports announer but with them playing too. Yeah I heard it didn't really work out last time but if we can get together and plan it maybe it can happen with ex2 or with UM3 when it comes out........a guy can wish can't he.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:29 pm

If they'd included arcade mode still and not made it so much like ultramix (even going so far as to include those crappy remixes by Thuggie D... well the absolute one sucks ass, I don't mind the Insertion one as much) I'd probably rate it a 5/5... but as is I'd play it safe with a 4/5... its not quite on the level of capturing the feel of EXAC (which I realize we shouldn't even know about anyway, but we do so :P) but with just the right mix of new, old, and never before seen content... as well as DMM and all the other things, EX2 is definetly a far better game than last year's offering...

Dance Master Mode's still a fucking bitch, though.

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Great Place to Start

Postby robbway » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:29 pm

I absolutely hate DMM. Sorry. :( However, if I were just starting DDR, DMM is the perfect way to learn since there's a lot of Beginner. Hidden arrows are neato, though! These would've been interesting if they were hidden without hints.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Re: Great Place to Start

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:07 am

robbway wrote:I absolutely hate DMM. Sorry. :( However, if I were just starting DDR, DMM is the perfect way to learn since there's a lot of Beginner. Hidden arrows are neato, though! These would've been interesting if they were hidden without hints.

While I don't necessariily hate DMM, Konami didn't really provide much of any other way to unlock content in Extreme 2, so you'll just have to tough it out. At least, I don't think you can unlock everything by avoiding DMM altogether.

And while I have come across some nigh-impossible missions, (C-27 comes to mind) I haven't seen any that screamed 'literally impossible' aside from possibly the one featuring 'the freezer') But then I have yet to venture into D or E territory so I'll probably be putting my foot thru my TV yet :evil:

Yes even though its lacking a couple songs I would've loved to see, I can't really find anything to complain about.

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby gs191 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:22 pm

yeah i just picked up ddr ex2 the day after my birthday.

I absolutly love the new mix. dance master mode is basicly reteaching me how to play ddr again since i stoped playing about 5 months ago. I missed the days that i could A/AA songs on a $15 soft pad with ddrmax and max2 so i want to get good again and i hope ddm helps me out with that.

I thought max2 was overplayed (i can still hear "dream a dream" every 5 minutes with somebody playing max2) and extreme was ok but this totaly brought back the series with something new.

and btw i'm starting the C missions now.
gs191
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Sakurina » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:27 am

I got this the other day too since I was fed up with hearing Dream A Dream. Little did I know that it would be replaced with La Copa de la Vida. -_-

DMM is a real bitch for unlocks (Can I say 10-footers? Yes, yes I can) so I use the Online Mode's Practice tab to play songs I didn't unlock yet. I *know* that I can clear PSM Standard, I just can't get my scoring + silly grade.

SPEAKING OF WHICH: DDREx2 is so fucking generous on scoring. Seriously. Look at some pics I took where I listed the DP and what the grade should be. IT GAVE ME A B WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A D. Also, I don't have a single D on my save. Something is wrong.
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Bemani Discussion