Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

23-year-old dies playing DDR

Hey, we haven't forgotten our roots as a Music Video Game station. Talk about DDR/IIDX and all that note smashing here.

23-year-old dies playing DDR

Postby gs68 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:02 am

http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=33975 (news link was dead)
STRANGE DEATH 1: HE DIES DANCING
HE WAS DOING WHAT HE LOVED MOST WHEN...
By Chong Shin Yen

April 04, 2008

HE so loved dancing that he would spend most of his free time perfecting his moves.

And on Tuesday, Mr Elvin Teo Wei Ming, 23, died doing what he loved most.

He was on a dance machine at an arcade when he suddenly collapsed.

Mr Teo, a sub-contractor, was rushed to hospital but died an hour later without regaining consciousness.

He had died of cardio-respiratory failure, according to the death certificate.

Mr Teo had gone to the Zone-X arcade at Orchard Atrium in Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station with his girlfriend, around 8pm.

His father, Mr Teo Teck Heng, 45, told The New Paper: 'His girlfriend said he had been dancing for half an hour. Then, he suddenly bent forward and fell to the ground.

'She called out to him but he didn't respond.'

His girlfriend shouted for help but it was too noisy in the arcade for anyone to hear her.

She then asked the arcade's staff to help her call for an ambulance.

Mr Teo, who was at work when he received the call from his wife, said he rushed to the Singapore General Hospital but was too late to speak to his son for one last time.

'The nurse said my son's heart had stopped beating by the time he reached the hospital,' said Mr Teo.

'They tried to resuscitate him but failed.'

He was pronounced dead at 10.20pm.

One of the arcade's workers told Shin Min Daily News that the younger Mr Teo was a familiar face there.

'He would come here at least three times every week,' said the worker, who declined to be named.

'Every time, he would spend an hour on the dance machine.'

Such machines require the player to make dance movements with their arms and legs while fast music is played.

CREATED OWN STEPS

The arcade employee added that Mr Teo was with a group of friends on Tuesday night, and they were taking turns to dance on the machine.

Mr Teo said that his son enjoyed dancing since he was 5 years old.

'Back then, we bought him a dancing mat which had circles in different colours,' said Mr Teo.

'He liked it so much and would follow the steps on the television screen.

'But soon, he started creating his own dance steps. Since then, dancing had been his passion.'

Mr Teo added that when his son was older, he bought him a hand-held game.

'Most of the games he played were dance-related ones,' he said.

'He would spend one or two hours a day playing them.'

When he became a teenager, he began frequenting arcades for their dance machines.

'I once asked him why he did not think of taking up dancing as a career. But he told me that he was too shy to dance on a stage in front of everyone. He was the kind who danced only for his own enjoyment.'

Mr Teo said his son was a heavy smoker and kept late nights. He suffered from thalassemia, a type of blood disorder, but did not have other medical problems.

The eldest of three children, he had been working in his father's sub-contracting business after completing his national service.

Mr Teo lost a daughter 18 years ago. The girl was only 4 years old when she died from a heart ailment.

'He was very filial. Nowadays, not many youngsters would help their parents in their business,' said Mr Teo.

'He did it because he didn't want me to work too hard.'

Mr Teo added that his son usually worked till 8pm before going out with his friends.

'He would go to bed only around 2am. I noticed he had slimmed down recently and he looked like he didn't get enough sleep.'

Mr Teo said his son had worked over the weekend, so he told the young man to take Monday and Tuesday off to rest.

The last time the family saw him was at noon on Tuesday.

He had told them he was going to the bank before meeting his girlfriend.

Mr Teo said: 'If he had gone to work with me that day, this might not have happened.

'His death was so sudden. But we take comfort in the fact that he died doing what he loved the most.'

My condolences to this guy and his family.
gs68 / TsundeRay - The OLRmy's SF Bay Area representative!
gs68
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 am

I saw you posted that earlier in chat :( I'll see if we can't give it at least a mention on sunday's show...
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby SakuraMaxX » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:07 pm

I guess it was the smoking that caused this. This is why those damned sticks suck. He shouldn't have played for that continuous amount of time either.
SakuraMaxX
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby goldbanjo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:46 pm

:(
goldbanjo
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby act_deft » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:03 pm

damn that's sad...

my condolences.

No, MGS4 isn't coming to the 360. Never was, never will.
If I'm mistaken, Ranma gets a free copy of it. =P
act_deft
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Bemani Discussion