Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Universe Quest Mode for Dummies (like me)

Hey, we haven't forgotten our roots as a Music Video Game station. Talk about DDR/IIDX and all that note smashing here.

Universe Quest Mode for Dummies (like me)

Postby skie » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:24 am

Seriously, this mode was a pain in the ass to figure out. I'm opening this topic as a place to share what we've learned.

To start, you are in OLR's hometown of Sacramento, California (woot)... play the battle here and the follow-up battle to get the easiest unlock of all, Think Ya Better D

After this is done, you have the freedom to move around the map from city to city, "claiming" a state (or province because Canada is here too) in varioud battles. "Claiming" a state will allow you to travel to an adjoining state.

First rule of the "battles". They're pretty much in these types (that I've seen so far):
Combo -- Get a certian Combo
Jump Combo -- Successfuly land a # of jumps in a row (As they fall in the song, so if there are long breaks of single arrow steps between jumps you will not be penalized, but you should pick a song with a lot of jumps)
Freeze Combo -- Successfuly land a # of freeze arrows in a row (Same as above, and Twist on Expert is your friend here)
Dance Battle -- You will battle another opponent in a city. This is important... when picking the song do NOT pick one that has an upside down note on the right side... this gives your opponent an advantage because they "own" that song. If you want an advantage, pick a song you "own" (Correct looking music note on the left side). You'll own at least one-- The first unlock you got, Think Ya Better D. More later.
Fanbase -- Get a certian # of "fans" in a city... basically, pick an Expert song and get a shitload of greats & perfects.

Here's a great time saver. On any of these challenges, once your bar has filled up and turned rainbow, you're DONE. If you don't feel like playing anymore, hold start and quit out back to the map. Get your reward and get moving. Conversly, if you "Fail" a mission at the end of the song, you most likely haven't truly failed... especially in a dance battle. Let the game roll into the next random song, you'll get to continue the dance battle with the meter you had before. Oh this reminds me, if you DON'T quit out, the thing will keep going and going with random songs -.-; . Although this is useful in the "Fanbase" mode, because you get extra money for all the fans you get. So honest, do a fanbase battle one time and play through like 10 expert songs and you'll have a crapload of cash.

Most of the fanbase battles actually appear randomly on the map. A little envelope will appear in a random state you've claimed. You don't *have* to do these but if you're hard up for cash, go play a bunch of songs.

Here's other random things that might happen on the map:

Buy a backup dancer -- For some $$ you can buy a backup dancer. Keep in mind the dancers do not travel with you, they stay in the city where you bought them. They will help increase your bar faster in the Dance Battle & Fanbase battles. Frankly, I think it's a good idea to buy them, they aren't that expensive if you've stockpiled a lot of cash and you might need them to keep you from throwing your controller through the screen... ERM I MEAN DANCE PAD OF COURSE ;D in a regional battle.

Buy a new song -- This will give you the music note or advantage on a particular song. It appears to be offered in songwheel order (how inventive), so honestly, unless you feel like playing Don't Play Nice expert about 5,000 times (don't get me wrong the song rocks but you'll be playing your claimed songs a lot), I'd buy the other songs as you are offered them.

Buy a new movie clip -- I haven't completely figured this one out yet but I believe this gives you "Fever" which is similar to having a claimed song, but only when the movie clip you just bought is showing on the screen. So for instance, if you end up buying the movie clip with the dancing penguins, Nightshade is a good song to play in Dance Battles because you'll get a few "Fevers" during it. Playing Cascada or Jamaroqui won't give anyone crap (Keep that in mind for early dance battles though)

OK great so now you know what happens, what should you be doing?

Claim Regions! Notice how the states (and canada) are sectioned off in different colors. When you claim all the states in a certain region, the "regional battle" will open up in a random state in that region. Travel to the regional battle for the *drumroll* ultimate dance battle! These dance battles are a pain in the fucking ass because your opponent will have half the songs "claimed", so make sure you're picking a song that you own. Hope you got good at "Don't Play Nice" expert! You probably won't beat the opponent in one song but remember what I said above... if you go into another song you keep your bar. However, it's no fun at all to go randomly into a song where the computer "owns" it because you're likely to lose a big chunk of what you've earned, which is what makes these battles so damn frustrating :evil:

Pacific Region (green) -- Unlocks Bongo!
Southern Region (red) -- Unlocks Return of the Toe Jam
(I'm relying on other users to tell me what the other regional unlocks are, this is as far as I've gotten so far)

I'm sure I don't have EVERYTHING so other users, please reply here and I'll ammend my post. Maybe we can build something sutible for FAQ-style publication as a community.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Thanks for the Thread

Postby robbway » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 am

Skie: Thank you! I know what those "notes" mean now. When a regular or CPU player owns the song, their score bar has the flashy animation on it. I think you're right about "FEVER."

Something else, be careful not to change your difficulty level, because if you're accidentally on BASIC, you probably don't have enough arrows to beat the mission or the opponent.

When "Special" appears on a city, it has a mission, typically harder, that will be available for a few rounds. I think the number (all "3" so far) is how long (in rounds) you have to beat that challange for a lot of cash.

I especially like the giant crabs on the California Coast. I just want to go over there and attack them for massive damage.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Reenee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:58 pm

If there's anything that UM4 taught me, it's the harder songs with a bunch of steps are your round-winners (Masters of the Universe ftw).
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:00 pm

Ok, I changed my mind... Konami: go right ahead and charge MS Points for unlocks. :P

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Fanbase Challenges

Postby robbway » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:42 am

Fanbase Challenges are only good for one song. Once you've filled your meter, you get extra bucks for continuing on that one song. If you fail to fill your meter, it will start back at zero on the next song. If you pass the song, the next song won't score any extra fans.

All other challenges are worth quitting as soon as you win.

Once you become champion of North America, you can continue to play with your acquired clips, videos, and dancers. On stage select, there are about 73 song clips and 400+ video segments. You will see a trophy x 01 display. Yes, you can win again!

A second championship appears after several challenges. The five locations appear randomly, meaning they don't necessarily encompass all five regions. The trick to these contests is you must win all of them in one go! Fail a contest, and the championship will disappear and you must restart it when it shows up again. You can, however, amass money and dancers inbetween contests. You have to win several championship to snag the "Number One Champion" achievement.

You can add dancers to a championship challenge if you repeatedly fly thru the city marked with a star. It takes awhile, so that means more boring repitition. Locations like Alaska, Hawaii, Newfoundland, and Florida don't have any routes thru them, so you may have to lose championships on purpose.

The Maximum Backup Dancers is 8. You can buy more, but it's a waste of money as the dancers over 8 are not added.

Achievement Notes:
(The achievements are pretty easy, given time. Some of the song unlocks appear in Quest mode after the championship, so keep playing.)

10,20,30,40, and 50 songs passed achievements can be tackled immediately, without unlocks.
60 songs requires some unlocks or the DLC 10-pack.
All Songs requires 73 (again, needs verification) songs passed. This includes the DLC, so you do not have to unlock/pass Paranoia Evolution Max!

EDIT: Verified dancers and song totals.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Game Options Effect on Quest

Postby robbway » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:18 am

For awhile, I had video turned off during quest mode. I can verify that the FEVER still works when your video clip is supposed to be playing. I turned down the intensity of the videos to 70%, but they're still very bright.

Also, completion of Quest Mode reveals your results for each state, province, island, or territory. I have the grades, relative to the number of backup dancers in each area. I also believe the number of dancers you can hire is based on your accumulated Fan Base. In a formal FAQ, we'd have to be more specific.

AAA - You have 8 backup dancers
AA
A
B
C
D - You have no backup dancers
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

#1 Achievement

Postby robbway » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:00 am

Considering I've beaten quest mode 3-times with no "top dancer" achievement, I'm guessing that you must get an "AAA" in every state, province, island, and territory. You probably also have to have all movie and sound clips purchased. I have one more unlockable song to go.

Quest mode sucks! and, you can't tell me anyone could beat challenge mode with the dance pad. Maximizer Oni full combo? Get real!
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Bemani Discussion