Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

IIDX

Hey, we haven't forgotten our roots as a Music Video Game station. Talk about DDR/IIDX and all that note smashing here.

IIDX

Postby nym » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:34 am

Well, I'm starting to get into Beatmania and I want to get the games but i dont know what to get. I know I'm going to be getting the US Beatmania IIDX for the controller and a bit of practice. But what mix should I import first for the best selection of songs. Some of my favorite songs are from IIDX like One More Lovely, Ageha, Abyss (The Heavens Mix), and Rainbow Rainbow. But back to the point and, my question. What mix is the best to import first?
nym
New Listener
New Listener

Re: IIDX

Postby krispykreme » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:30 am

nym wrote:Well, I'm starting to get into Beatmania and I want to get the games but i dont know what to get. I know I'm going to be getting the US Beatmania IIDX for the controller and a bit of practice. But what mix should I import first for the best selection of songs. Some of my favorite songs are from IIDX like One More Lovely, Ageha, Abyss (The Heavens Mix), and Rainbow Rainbow. But back to the point and, my question. What mix is the best to import first?
First of all they aren't called Mixs they are Styles.
Those songs are in the most recent one's so I suggest getting 10th style and RED (11th style). 6th style has a really good beginner mod and a misson mode. 7th style has lots of Eurobeat I think. 8th is really cool imo. and 9th is just meh to me (but it does have the really cool paranoia survivor video). So yeah. If you want those songs get 10th style and RED.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby nym » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:04 pm

Cool, thanks. I forgot they were styles, considering it was late for me with the whole daylight savings thing. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
nym
New Listener
New Listener

Postby MrKenji » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:42 am

New to IIDX, eh? Hrm... I was in the same boat last february. First thing: Don't do what I did and practice IIDX on an arcade machine where playing RED was $2 a pop. And I refused beginners mode.

Let's just say there was a lot of Burning Up For You and Burning Heat those two weeks.

Well, the only reason a lot of people recommend 6th style is for Drill Mode, similar to DDR EX US' Mission Mode. Each mission, gradually increasing in difficulty, requires you to play a few measures of a song that hallmarks a certain technique or concept in IIDX (for instance, one of the missions has you playing the first key and scratch simultaneously for three measures to Romeo and Juliet, in order to practice pinky-scratching). The songlist is pretty on-spot for the beginner, and has A LOT of cool extras (Music Clip Mode is God), but if you can live without them, I suggest going for 7th style.

7th style has the majority of the 6th style songs, along with another set of Avex Super Eurobeat licenses and an all-around very strong (albeit slightly more challenging) songlist. 90 songs; about all of them are winners (except Regulus; can't STAND that one). One problem: it lacks extras. Yes, it has Beginner's mode; yes, it has class mode; and yes, it has (the somewhat annoying, because that's the only way you can get Abyss -The Heavens...-) Master's Mode. But that's about it. If you want this style, go for the songs and not the extras. But if the songs aren't your cup of tea and the interface is a little dated to you, then you might want to try...

IIDX 11 RED. By far the sleekest of all the styles, its interface is damn pretty. And there's a customize mode for changing just about every aspect of the UI to your liking. The songlist (80 some songs with a handful of Happy Sky crossovers) is the strongest it's been since 7th; and Avex licenses return! Huzzah! The downsides: aside from Customize Mode, there aren't a lot of extras.
MrKenji
New Listener
New Listener

About your IIDX dilemma...

Postby surunooujisama91 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:20 am

As i started playing IIDX not too long ago, (starting with BMUS) i realized that there was a huge jump in difficulty between JP IIDX and US IIDX games. (the difficulty in the JP IIDX games are more unforgiving...) My advice for you, is buy a more recent IIDX version like Beatmania IIDX 12, where they have a great and easy to understand beginners mode.
surunooujisama91
New Listener
New Listener

Return to Bemani Discussion