Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Alright folks... explain why I need to get Ouendan.

Hey, we haven't forgotten our roots as a Music Video Game station. Talk about DDR/IIDX and all that note smashing here.

Alright folks... explain why I need to get Ouendan.

Postby MrKenji » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:50 am

I played Elite Beat Agents (the download play demo, mind you) and loved what I saw.

However, I noticed that Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, it's Japanese counterpart, was significantly different- the overall gameplay remains the same, but the songs, events, and even characters- are radically different.

I also noticed it performed very poorly in Japan, which gives me the impression that handheld bemani isn't quite as popular as it used to be.

In fact, I have half a mind to get Daigasso! Band Brothers, the eight player band-fest, instead of this. But I figure with all the good talk about it, I should give you guys a chance to convince me otherwise.
MrKenji
New Listener
New Listener

Re: Alright folks... explain why I need to get Ouendan.

Postby Arimasen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:37 am

MrKenji wrote:handheld bemani

I know Bemani is synomynous with rhythm games, but Ouendan is not Bemani (because it is not made by Konami).

Anyways, if you like Elite Beat Agents at all, you need to get Ouendan. It is THE best import game for the DS no matter what. I have it, I love it. Daigasso Band Brothers is a good game also, but it just feels old-school compared to Ouendan (I mean, Daigasso plays MIDI tracks, probably because its keysounded. But it feels like I'm playing oldschool Beatmania on the PSX [granted that game was fun but looking bad, you can see how bad it looks compared to newer games] ). Once you get into Pro mode and start hitting 10 buttons, itll get hard then.
Arimasen
Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrWonderful » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:07 am

Ouendan is a fantastic DS game. There are 15 different levels and songs, and the majority of them are extremely catchy and fun. Try listening to Linda Linda once, it's a great song. The graphical style and humor is right on. The situations are extremely japanese (teacher trying to win over his students, kid studying for entrance exams, Salaryman vs. Giant Rat), but as a import gamer, you should be used to stuff like that.
You can just pick it up and play a song or two at a time, making it a great game for on the go (provided you have headphones). And the multiplayer is a lot of fun. four difficulty levels provide plenty of replay, but it gets freaking hard by the end.
Ultimately, it's up to you. if you don't want the game, don't get it. But if you like rhythm titles and japanese humor, Ouendan is a hot hit.
MrWonderful
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Re: Alright folks... explain why I need to get Ouendan.

Postby MrKenji » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:05 am

Arimasen wrote:I know Bemani is synomynous with rhythm games, but Ouendan is not Bemani (because it is not made by Konami).

Yes, on the technicality, Bemani "is the name for Konami's Music Simulation Series". But "music-rhythm genre"? I think it's become quite synonymous with Bemani. I know people, in fact, that believe (mistakenly) Samba de Amigo (confused with Mambo a Go Go), Taiko no Tatsujin, and Parappa are all Bemani.

And just look in the Bemani discussion forum. Not exactly all IIDX and KBM threads in there.

Hrm... only 15 songs? Sounds... a bit sparse. But I believe the US version is going to be around the same amount, if memory serves.

Now where to possibly purchase this...?
MrKenji
New Listener
New Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:18 pm

Call it Bemani, WannaBemani, and notBemani. :P.
It signifies the genre (music game) with the actual status of the game (Konami/Mock Konami/Not Konami) too :).

MrKenji:
PlayAsia, or eBay
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to Bemani Discussion