Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

GameFAQs Top 10 Rhythm Games

Hey, we haven't forgotten our roots as a Music Video Game station. Talk about DDR/IIDX and all that note smashing here.

GameFAQs Top 10 Rhythm Games

Postby krispykreme » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:20 pm

GameFAQs wrote:
Sure, you've heard of DDR and who hasn't? But did you know Rhythm games remain a staple in the industry? Sure, it's a very small staple tucked away to a hidden spot not to be confused with a pencil mark, but it's there. And even if the concept makes you groan, it's still there. And these are the top ten.

#10: DJ Max Portable (PSP)

This is unusual. A rhymn game on.. a handheld? And one which is slightly superior to the game it clones (Beatmania). To top it all off, a killer music selection, unlimited gameplay modes, and even a msuic video gallery. Although unlocking everything can be the blazes, the magic of gamesaves makes it enjoyable by everyone. Even if players must import this title, the PSP being region free offers little excuse why this title isn't in every PSP collection. Or at least rhythm game fans.

#9: Pump It Up Exceed 2 (ARC)

I guess I pretty much have to place a phsyical dancing game here. But why not DDR? Truth be told, DDR was rather contrictive in movement. You had to get good before you could begin even the slightest hint of a trick. Pump It Up? Well, let's just say the layout remains showboat special. Not to mention it featured a robust lineup of music that was genuinely good compared to it's competitor, who anyone who's not a fan can accurately call "annoyingly busy." Though I know many will hate me, I just gotta give the props to Pump It Up in this particular arena.

#8: Gitaroo-Man (PS2)

Is it all just a dream? Did I really just ride a UFO trying to out thrash on a supery Europop track? Did the drum and bass space shark really just jam out some Reggae? Is that really a jazz musician in a bumble bee suit? And is the main logos soundbyte dangerously close to an orgasm? Yes, my friends, yes. Gitaroo Man plays silky smooth but the story is told like something out of the most bizarre concept book of Lewis Caroll. And we love it for that.

#7: PaRappa the Rapper (PS)

Personally, I was never a big fan. But I was, perhaps, one of the only ones. Parappa made a huge splash thanks to it's memorable music, outrageous story, and unique art style. Just tell them Master Onion sent you.

#6: Space Channel 5 (DC)

From some deranged thought process comes a space reporter in Go Go boots trying to rescue hostages, outdance aliens, and even putting a halt to Space Michaels imprisonment. One of the collest features of this game is the fact that successfully rescued hostages actually change the background music as they march along with your army.

#5: Amplitude (PS2)

Take everything that was great about the first (Frequency) and kick it up by ten. Amplitude required razor sharp reflexes to maintain a decent song mix and while it's the first time Harmonix shows up on this list, it's definately not the last.

#4: Samba de Amigo (DC)

Who would have though a monkey and his maracas could be a concept worth getting into? But as the samba beat takes hold of Reel Big Fish's remake of Take On Me by Ah-ha, those annoyingly bright plastic maracas take flight. Pose!

#3: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (GC)

Okay, so you have this pair of bongos with no apparent use after you've mastered being on the road again. Whatever is a fella to do? Answer comes in the form of Jungle Beat. Most music games get their peripheral for that one outting, never offering anything outside of song packs, but the drums on Gamecube actually received a full fledged adventure game controllered entirely by drumming, clapping, and... drumming your way through the game.

#2: Guitar Hero (PS2)

It may not have been the first guitar simulator, but it's definately the best. And not by short leaps either. Guitar Hero did something no other rhythm game has done, removed the "dork" label from peripheral based gameplay. Anyone from school teachers to stoners could grip the plastic axe and find instant joy being reminded that, yes, Ziggy did, in fact, play guitar...

#1: Bust A Groove 2 (PS)

Such a simple concept. Take your unusual character and outdance your opponent. And yet it never really caught on. The gameplay was flawless and the music score was beyond question, but it remained a passed over gem until it found it's home as a heavily sought after niche title.

And there you go. Certain titles didn't make the list and for that, I'm sorry. Also, I'm sorry I couldn't appease the DDR and In The Groove fans out there by at least having one showing but I just felt these games were superior. But then again, these lists are all about opinion. And if you take the P and I out of opinion, you're left with an onion. A master onion, that is.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Arimasen » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:26 pm

No Rhythm Tengoku love... aw.
EDIT: No IIDX, Pop'n or GFDM either. List is bullshit.
Arimasen
Supporter
Supporter

Postby krispykreme » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:28 pm

Arimasen wrote:No Rhythm Tengoku love... aw.
EDIT: No IIDX, Pop'n or GFDM either. List is bullshit.
Yeah I know. Kinda makes me mad.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Reenee » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:46 pm

GameFAQs top tenners are always written by some random individual. And the dumbass who wrote this didn't even justify why DDR wasn't there.
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby krispykreme » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:48 pm

Reenee wrote:GameFAQs top tenners are always written by some random individual. And the dumbass who wrote this didn't even justify why DDR wasn't there.
Or ITG (which is above DDR).
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby PkerUNO » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:06 am

Wow, someone actually reads the GameFAQs Top 10 lists? Why do they even bother with "definitive top 10 lists" for something that is so highly subjective?
PkerUNO
PkerUNO
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby sephiroth1215 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:17 am

Well all the person says is that all the games there are far superior to DDR and even says DJmax is superior to IIDX. This person simply hates konami and you see why I'm starting to hate guitar hero, somehow it's the greatest music game ever made when everyone just likes it because of the familar songs, honestly the game could just have one fret button and look like it was made in MSpaint as long as it had the same songs and a guitar controller to use. I say this because I guess we're all dorks who play other music games and GH is the only cool one. Yeah I know it's an opinion but recently it's been the opinion of many.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby YURILOVER » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:45 am

So I guess nothing like Rock Fever or ez2dancer or Para Para Paradise or ez2DJ or Technomotion or all of the other rhythm games that are clearly above these ones right?
Click All Zig.
YURILOVER
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Fry » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:37 am

Guitar Hero #2...what the hell?
Fry
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby tweak_ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:18 am

No love for dance maniax? and krispy, dont make me hurt you.
tweak_
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Re: GameFAQs Top 10 Rhythm Games

Postby YURILOVER » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:04 pm

krispykreme wrote:
GameFAQs wrote:I guess I pretty much have to place a phsyical dancing game here. But why not DDR? Truth be told, DDR was rather contrictive in movement. You had to get good before you could begin even the slightest hint of a trick. Pump It Up? Well, let's just say the layout remains showboat special. Not to mention it featured a robust lineup of music that was genuinely good compared to it's competitor, who anyone who's not a fan can accurately call "annoyingly busy." Though I know many will hate me, I just gotta give the props to Pump It Up in this particular arena.
Actually, if you compare the songs coming up on SuperNOVA CS to PUMP Exceed CS, you'll see there is more variety in SuperNOVA.
Click All Zig.
YURILOVER
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:00 pm

I'm surprised FFVII wasn't #1 *flees* ...

But seriously, yeah that list was less than thrilling. While no one can deny Parappa/Guitaroo Man/BaM/G as being great music games, not having beatmania, quite literally the game that gave the music craze a real shot in the arm in the first place (And no Morgan, I'm *not* confusing it with Guitar Hero thankyouvery much...) is a crime.

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to Bemani Discussion