Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Please help me do a project on the "nerd" communit

Get to know those other listeners of Orange Lounge Radio... maybe things you didn't even want to know about o_O

Please help me do a project on the "nerd" communit

Postby PoPanda21 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:10 pm

Basically I'd love any information on the subculture of nerds/the gaming community. Any articles of the sociological/psychologial nature of nerds/gamers would be awsome. And also, just tell me what you think!

1. What kind of nerds are there?
2. Why do people gather together around games?
3. What draws you to games or nerdom?
4. What type or nerd are you ex. WoW nerd, DDR nerd Magic the Gathering nerd, etc.
5. What sort of things do you do as a nerd in the nerd community ex. cosplay, tournaments, significant large parties?
6. What sort of media have you seen popping up targeted at nerds?
7. What sort of products do you consider nerdy?

If you can think of any other possible helpful information please add! Thank you! <3 :D
PoPanda21
New Listener
New Listener

Postby krispykreme » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:15 pm

I really don't consider myself a nerd. Seriously, thats kinda stupid to consider gamers nerds. Just cause we game doesn't make us nerds. So. Yeah. That pissed me off.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby letshavetea » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:39 pm

krispykreme wrote:I really don't consider myself a nerd. Seriously, thats kinda stupid to consider gamers nerds. Just cause we game doesn't make us nerds. So. Yeah. That pissed me off.

sir that was his intent....
letshavetea
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby krispykreme » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:54 am

letshavetea wrote:
krispykreme wrote:I really don't consider myself a nerd. Seriously, thats kinda stupid to consider gamers nerds. Just cause we game doesn't make us nerds. So. Yeah. That pissed me off.

sir that was his intent....
Ok well. It worked.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby sephiroth1215 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:50 am

Ok I admit she really shouldn't of said everything the way she did and it should be reworded, but many people who play games aren't nerds and probably play madden with some GTA (this is all I heard about from other people). When it comes to making it a large hobby that you care about and learn about it is a gamer nerd. I know I'm a nerd and almost everyone else I know admits it too. It's 2006 not the 80's, nerds are not looked down upon like they were since everyone has at least a little nerd in them thanks to the internet making computers a must have by anyone so nobody can make fun of the "geek who knows about computers" because everyone is part of that now. So be it, call yourself a gamer......when people hear that do they think any differently? Honestly I'm insulted by you because you're making the word "nerd" up as a bad thing, what is wrong with it? A few months ago I remember asking the chat room "who here is a nerd?" to prove a point and almost everyone responded. Do you realize that this is a 2 hour podcast about gaming and such every week? Grow up and welcome to a new generation.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby VxJasonxV » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:32 am

sephiroth1215 wrote:
When it comes to making it a large hobby that you care about and learn about it is a gamer nerd. I know I'm a nerd and almost everyone else I know admits it too. It's 2006 not the 80's, nerds are not looked down upon like they were since everyone has at least a little nerd in them thanks to the internet making computers a must have by anyone so nobody can make fun of the "geek who knows about computers" because everyone is part of that now. So be it, call yourself a gamer......when people hear that do they think any differently? Honestly I'm insulted by you because you're making the word "nerd" up as a bad thing, what is wrong with it? A few months ago I remember asking the chat room "who here is a nerd?" to prove a point and almost everyone responded. Do you realize that this is a 2 hour podcast about gaming and such every week? Grow up and welcome to a new generation.
I have a few words of my own.
I wouldn't say that a LOT of people are becoming nerds just because of computers and the internet, however, I will say those people who WERE "nerds" (based off the stereotypes of the 70s and 80s and such) are really starting to shine because people see their WORTH.
I mean, come on...
Everyone there in development at MICROSOFT?
The stars that start a LINUX distribution?
Steve Jobs and APPLE in general?

Not to mention web hosting nerds (and I'm talking in general, the fact of sheerly how many web hosts EXIST in the world).

Chris Danford? Stepmania anyone?
And... I'm forgetting the author's name, but, DWI???? Hello!

The fact is that people are coming to the realization of nerds.
Nerds bring you the killer web apps and killer web services. Nerds bring you the killer Video Games that you enjoy so much.
Nerds even bring you your funny internet videos and cartoons, and flash animations, etc. etc. etc.

Nerds are the BACKBONE of the digital age.
Though I do have one thing to say:

[edit]
I'm suddenly reminded of highschool...
Some friends of mine were holding a LAN party, and I was talking to some others who may (or may not) have been interested in joining, and this one single diehard joke (seriously) said:
"I thought you'd all sit around comparing pocket protectors or something."

Dead
Fucking
Serious

I stared at him blankly, and... he was completely serious.
You want to talk about the oldest and most untrue stereotype ever?
Geez...
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby sephiroth1215 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:54 am

Yeah you're right not everyone is turning nerd but if someone ever made fun of you for something you can simply say something right back, or not bother with it. One time I was made fun of for playing Pokemon and later one of the kids asked for some help on a game, I just directed him to gamefaqs but he already knew that, it just said a lot to me. But I also noticed last year that many people also valued my opinion because I was a nerd when I took about an hour for a presentation on gaming. I was surprised because I was asked sooooo many questions so my project kept going on when it was going to be only 15min! Most people knew everything too but I was discribing how gaming is good and doesn't make people kill. There was one asshole that pissed me off that said he'll never play a game again and that all games should be banned and burned, the next day he was talking about how he was playing GTA, no joke. I have more stories like this but maybe another time.

Back on subject....CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE HELP POPANDA! SHE NEEDS HELP!!!!!
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby ssj100matt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:04 pm

these 3 words can help:

Keep change change
ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Re: Please help me do a project on the "nerd" comm

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:59 pm

PoPanda21 wrote:1. What kind of nerds are there?
an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person;
especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>

There are tons of nerds. Nerds are (to me) people that simply put a TON of time into something, and commit to it. And accel in it. etc.
Computer Nerds
Gaming Nerds
English Nerds
Math Nerds
Science Nerds
etc. etc.

PoPanda21 wrote:2. Why do people gather together around games?

Games are easy. Games are gripping. Games can be/are an escape. Games tantalize our imaginations so we don't have to.
Games vary and everyone loves their own style. Card games, quick games (Bejewled, Y! Games, etc.)

PoPanda21 wrote:3. What draws you to games or nerdom?

I've loved games because they're fun to play. Platformers, the work put into them, the 'depth' on such a basic concept.
The music, the art, the story.
I mean, a game really does grip a part of you.
Donkey Kong Country (at least the SNES versions) had a KILLER soundtrack.
So much so that I listen to them outside of the game.

Nerdom... I love computers. Been around them since I was 2. I gamed on them primarily, but always managed to pick up concepts that other people wouldn't. (primitive scripting/configuring, etc.)
Now that I'm "of that age", I love tweaking, configuring, administrating, etc.
It's really just putting the pieces of a puzzle together, however it's the ultimate in a broad scope.

There's so many ways to complete this puzzle, no way is right, any way to get the job done works.

PoPanda21 wrote:4. What type or nerd are you ex. WoW nerd, DDR nerd Magic the Gathering nerd, etc.
Music/rhythm gaming nerd, and computer nerd.

PoPanda21 wrote:5. What sort of things do you do as a nerd in the nerd community ex. cosplay, tournaments, significant large parties?
Used to run DDR Tournaments or go to them (stopped :-\)
Used to go to LAN parties (stopped :-\)
Still IRC hella lot :D.

PoPanda21 wrote:6. What sort of media have you seen popping up targeted at nerds?
Gadgetry. ThinkGeek for $500, Alex.

PoPanda21 wrote:7. What sort of products do you consider nerdy?
Anything that requires constant commitment. I can't really think of a specific example, because products aren't "for nerdy purpose". They are nerd ASSISTANTS.
But perhaps I'm just not thinking right now.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby letshavetea » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:14 am

... I am a nerd I know it... and because of that I get a lot of people asking me for help with computers or gaming or whatever... like if anyone in town needs something... anything electronic related Im the person they go to and I usually can do what they want me to do.

I like to play games and all that... more than most people like to play them I guess... i dont know I have fun with my games and I learn from them because I am looking into Game Art design for my collage major... so its nice to see a lot of these different game's art
letshavetea
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby PoPanda21 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 pm

I would just like to say thank you to all of you who took my post seriously and replied, and to those I offended somehow I meant no offense, really. It wasn't my intent to insult you. That being said I'd also just like to add a bit of personal information: I'm a girl. : P
PoPanda21
New Listener
New Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:29 am

So you're thanking me? Since like... no one else really sat down and answered everything? :D
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby PoPanda21 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:20 am

Yes, sadly I am only thanking you basically. *sigh* But it's better than no one!
PoPanda21
New Listener
New Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:07 pm

;D
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to Random Chatter