Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Kings Quest like ITG?

Get to know those other listeners of Orange Lounge Radio... maybe things you didn't even want to know about o_O

Kings Quest like ITG?

Postby freakotaku14 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:35 pm

If you have been listening to Orangelounge radio togo, you know about Kings Quest 9 and there situation.
But I was wondering, would Kings Quest 9 be like In the Groove? Look at the situation, both fan communities were upset that there were not going to be anymore of a game, both fan communities created or tried to create another game or a continuation of the series, and you guys at Orange Lounge seem like you are against ITG but for Kings Quest 9.
Please explain.
freakotaku14
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Significant Small Difference

Postby robbway » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:52 pm

The KQIX may only be produced by licensing or owning the KQIX trademark and adhering to the contract on its use (if licensing). In the Groove was a new title and not meant to be a sequel (even though it is--sort of). KQIX could resurface if Phoenix Freeware changed the graphics and gameplay to a significant deviation from the KQ series, but not so much as to lose the point-and-click nature of the games.

From what I know, Vivendi never sold, licensed, or granted the use of "King's Quest" to Phoenix Freeware. I love fan creations and similar, I just hope they try for either parody (King's Jest) or similar-but-different (Kingly Pursuits).
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:09 pm

I wouldn't say I'm anti-ITG but I'm certainly not a fanboy either. I can see where you might make the parellel between KQ9 & ITG at first but there's some key points I think where it doesn't add up:

1) KQ9 as I understand it was not going to be released for profit.

2) In my chat with Cesar, it was said that it was understood that Vivendi may have come down at any time and said "stop" and they were prepared to stop what they were doing. The ITG creators consistently said "It's legal, It's legal, Stop asking and shut up" to the fan community, and Konami's basically called them out on it, and they've proceeded to fight.

3) Why I still believe Konami finally called them on it, ITG chose to enter the home market. Whereas there hasn't been a new kings quest game since ummm I *think* 1998 (don't quote me on it). DDR is continued to be produced for the home market. The arcade machines, as old as they are getting, serve as free advertising for the home market and protect that DDR "Brand" that ITG was infringing on. Yes I've even overheard people saying at the local arcade "Have you played the new DDR?" when talking about the ITG machine... I think this scenario is a big part of what Konami's problem is with ITG. DDR continues to thrive in home release through releases like Extreme 2 and Ultramix 3. Noooowwww, I suppose you could say that Vivendi is releasing Kings Quest anthologies still, because they are, but the comparison isn't really strong enough I think because Vivendi is choosing at this time to not innovate the brand, just re-package it.

I hope this can show another viewpoint to it all...
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Return to Random Chatter