Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Konami Appreciation Thread

Get to know those other listeners of Orange Lounge Radio... maybe things you didn't even want to know about o_O

Konami Appreciation Thread

Postby Deekman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:53 pm

Hey everyone. Post your favorite Konami related stories here. Best ones will be posted on the homepage on Saturday March 21.

Things like the first time you played a Konami game on your NES or just cool stories about hanging out at an arcade with your friends.

Please let me know!
- My Gaming Blog -
http://www.angry-gamers.com/
Deekman
Website Staff
Website Staff

Re: Konami Appreciation Thread

Postby DarkTetsuya » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:16 am

OMG where to begin...

- the get-togethers back in the day! staying up till all hours of the day playing IIDX, PPP and DDR? Good times...

- For that matter either of the two tournaments I managed to enter (NOTE TO SELF: when freestyling blind, make sure you KNOW THE STEPS before going in :( however I DO still have the shirt from my first one :D )

- Watching my mom try her hand at SotN (Don't ask how, I don't even really remember myself! :P)
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby gs68 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:11 pm

October 2008: So I was playing Pop'n 16 and I come across A--

OK fine SakuraMaxX, no Pop'n moments.

December 2001: Playing DDR USA (lol) while on a field trip to Ice Chalet in Cupertino (this was before Tilt closed down) and having a good chunk of the 8th grade watch me.

January 2004: I got a IIDX JKOC, a JPS2, and IIDX 6th CS!

August 2004: So I was playing Gradius III (SNES) (this was when I was a Gradius noob and wasn't hating on it yet), and my cousin and his friends decide to also play. I'm all up on the 1P side making my turns last, while they're sharing the 2P side and dying repeatedly.

September 2005: Playing Gradius V with my neighbor's kids at a garage sale.

May 2006, 2007, 2008: PPP 2nd Mix at Fanime! 2007 most notably; I was sharing the machine with any number of attractive cosplaying women. :)
gs68 / TsundeRay - The OLRmy's SF Bay Area representative!
gs68
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Deekman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:38 pm

Can't remember the exact date but my wife (who was just my girlfriend at the time) and I were in Toronto. We tried to play some DDR but the machine ate it. Some American dude saw what happened and came up to us an asked if we put in real money or a "loonie" thinking that the Canadian word for a $1 coin was some kind of fake money.
We explained to him the difference and after we all had a laugh he showed us the secret way of getting coins back from DDR machines... By kicking them square in the coin return with both feet while lifting yourself up on the bars.

After that we joked for a little while longer before he left. Never found out his name but it's a great memory.
- My Gaming Blog -
http://www.angry-gamers.com/
Deekman
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby act_deft » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:19 pm

I still remember my first time playing DDR, while I did understand how to play it, I still sucked playing in a Solo 2000 machine. I think my first song was I'm Alive.

My first tournament was something spectacular, seeing someone FC Max 300 was like the best moment there. I also remember going to Tijuana for another tournament there and my group of friends (we called ourselves the PGs, for ProGamers) took 1st place in both Standard and Heavy.

There has been a lot gratifying moments related to DDR in my life, meeting lots of friends and also achieving lots of stuff I had never done before.
But since this isn't only DDR related moments... let's move on to other things.

I also remember my first time playing Gradius. Man, I fell in love so much with the genre back then.

My first time beating a Castlevania game, which was Super Castlevania IV. A whole day dedicated to finish the game and I did it. It felt so good ^_^

Playing Zone of The Enders the 2nd Runner for the first time. O.M.G. I love that game so much. While the game is short in length, everything else in it makes up for it. The fights, the music, the plot. So much action packed in a little disc. I almost creamed myself when I saw the Vic Viper mecha in the game. It was a huge fanboy boner for me.

I think that's it for my experience with Konami games. Really good franchises. Really good games. Really good soundtracks. Really good company. Even though it has had its flaws (sue-happy moments and turning DDR/BEMANI into something really linear and unappealing... <_<) I still respect the company for all the good stuff it brought to the industry. And for that Konami, I salute you.

*OLRmy salute*

No, MGS4 isn't coming to the 360. Never was, never will.
If I'm mistaken, Ranma gets a free copy of it. =P
act_deft
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:30 pm

act_deft wrote:I still remember my first time playing DDR, while I did understand how to play it, I still sucked playing in a Solo 2000 machine. I think my first song was I'm Alive.

*OLRmy salute*

I actually found this on youtube, it was the big story back on June 23rd, 2002!
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby act_deft » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:18 am

DarkTetsuya wrote:
act_deft wrote:I still remember my first time playing DDR, while I did understand how to play it, I still sucked playing in a Solo 2000 machine. I think my first song was I'm Alive.

*OLRmy salute*

I actually found this on youtube, it was the big story back on June 23rd, 2002!

I remember that video.
Oh no! DDR turned me into a drug addict! =O

Seriously, how stupid can people be...?

On a totally unrelated note, my first favorite DDR song was Hysteria.
I think it was also the song that really captured my attention to DDR

No, MGS4 isn't coming to the 360. Never was, never will.
If I'm mistaken, Ranma gets a free copy of it. =P
act_deft
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby WarriorBob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:08 pm

Freestyling on the local DDR 3rd Mix Korean machine. Dynamite Rave, doing the same routine everybody did on that song, but with a new guy who had never shown up there before. He asked me if I knew the section where we all jump over the bars, and asked me to just shimmy onto the other pad when that came.

Sure enough, he vaulted off the screen, right over my head. First time I'd ever seen that. Locals' minds were blown.

Never did see him right after that.
WarriorBob
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Random Chatter