Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Top 10 Ridiculous Sony Marketing/PR Comments

Get to know those other listeners of Orange Lounge Radio... maybe things you didn't even want to know about o_O

Top 10 Ridiculous Sony Marketing/PR Comments

Postby sundance » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:29 am

Let me preface this by saying I am in no way a fanboy (in fact, I'm the polar opposite~!). Competition is GREAT, and only makes all the players step up their game to compete for our $$$.

Having said that, Sony continues to amaze me w/their level of arrogance and (relative) stupidity. Sony needs new PR/marketing people URLY!

I decided to start this post cause I'm fed up w/the nonsense.

I would like to say, FOR THE RECORD, that the PS3 is, by far and away, the most powerful game console in existence currently. Anyone who disagrees is either an idiot, or worse---a fanboy/girl!

Having said all that, here goes:

Top 10 Ridiculous Sony Comments

10. The next generation starts when WE say so (hmmmm...I guess the 360, with its PROPERLY SCALING HD support out of the box, wireless controllers that actually work 99% of the time--WITH rumble functionality, no less, dual composite/component cable in the box--not extra--and Gears of War, which completely raises the bar for next-gen graphics, wasn't next-gen ENOUGH)

9. Millions of people will buy a PS3 even if it didn't have any games (so, all of the people who bought PS3s @ launch to sell on eBay didn't really buy them to sell them, but to play what, Gundam? I guess they're actually right on this one...)

8. The PS3 is a computer (<---this is not ridiculous from a tech standpoint---I personally know someone using their 20GB PS3 as a web server, but who wants to program websites, etc. using a PS3, when a Mac will do sooooooo much more? By the way, my watch, cellphone, television and clock radio are computers too, if we go by Sony's logic)

7. The PS3 is too cheap (yes, for a Blu Ray player, but not for a GAME CONSOLE, which is what it should be 1st and foremost)

6. The DS is selling much worse than the PSP (yeah, in Bismarck, North Dakota, and nowhere else...ok, maybe in Allentown, Pennsylvania also)

5. Our rootkit DRM model is fantastic (if you like having Big Brother watch you)

4. Our launch titles represent the greatest launch lineup ever (uhh, Dreamcast/Soul Calibur, anyone?)

3. We ushered in the 3D era (hey, didn't SEGA do that w/the original Virtua Fighter? Namco did it too, I think, w/the original Tekken---both games came out before Battle Arena Toshinden, which was a SCEA game, and wasn't a terrible game, actually, but not as good as the aforementioned ones)

2. The Revolution (@ the time of this statement, the Wii was going by its MUCH BETTER code name) is like a good TV movie. The 360 is like a great DVD. The PS3 is like a night out @ the theater w/all the goodies (I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of the statement. I actually agree, but it's still ridiculous, yet spot on, seeing as all the PS3 is good for right now is Blu Ray movie watching)

2.5 Rumble is so last-gen (I just read that earlier this morning and had to laugh my pants off...)

1. We are not arrogant. (see numbers 10 thru 2.5)

I'm sure there are lots more that you all can think of...

ONE
sundance
New Listener
New Listener

Re: Top 10 Ridiculous Sony Marketing/PR Comments

Postby gs68 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:00 pm

sundance wrote:6. The DS is selling much worse than the PSP

Actually, that appears to be true in the Philippines--last time I went there I had 2-3 relatives who owned PSPs, but none who had DSs. I did see a DS that wasn't mine there, but it was being held by a little kid.

Plus it's a Sony product, and Sony is pretty much king there because their games are easier to pirate than Nintendo's--try going there and looking for pirated GameCube games, for example. I doubt you'll get any success whatsoever.

Yeah, us Filipinos suck at buying video games. We pretty much pirate everything and if we can't pirate games for a particular system, that system will FAIL.
gs68
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:23 am

sundance wrote:5. Our rootkit DRM model is fantastic (if you like having Big Brother watch you)

2.5 Rumble is so last-gen (I just read that earlier this morning and had to laugh my pants off...)
Sources?
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby theafroguy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:14 am

VxJasonxV wrote:
sundance wrote:5. Our rootkit DRM model is fantastic (if you like having Big Brother watch you)

Sources?

Well, 2.5 is true (http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/878.html)... but I'm not sure about 5.
theafroguy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby sundance » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 am

VxJasonxV wrote:

Sources?

My bad...I should have included sources...good catch~!

5 Source:
Sony never actually said it was "fantastic"...but they have denied that it's bad...
http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-6376177-1.html

2.5 Source:
http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Ru ... on_Feature
sundance
New Listener
New Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:35 pm

I should have known better on number 5, and I wasn't too suprised about 2.5 (just wanted to check though).

Call it the fanboy/anti-fanboy in me. But I was thinking solely about the PS3, and the rootkit thing stood out (which has nothing to do with the PS3). So, call it context, call me a fanboy, whatever.

But thanks for the links.
And I agree, Sony needs a new PR team badly.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby sundance » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 am

LMAO @ "...the fanboy/anti-fanboy in me..."

Sounds like Bruce Banner fighting w/his inner Hulk...LOL

Thanks again for the catch~!
sundance
New Listener
New Listener

Return to Random Chatter