Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

GameSpot internal ESRB insanity

Get to know those other listeners of Orange Lounge Radio... maybe things you didn't even want to know about o_O

GameSpot internal ESRB insanity

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:45 pm

I tried to call in last show to talk about this, but it was probably the best I didn't get through as what I found out was kind of lengthy to talk about (I was going to try and condense this as best as I could).

This was some info I got from a GameSpot employee, verbatim. I'm not going to quote his name since, to quote Spider Jerusalem, "I'm a fucking journalist, I don't reveal my sources."

...we got a new email at work regarding the ESRB and sales of rated R movies and rated M games to minors. Some of it was common sense but there were some particularly retarded points mentioned. Stuff like don't sell the mature stuff to kids under 17 and they have to have a guardian there with them, not just their parent's ID or a written note, etc, the normal stuff.

Then there's:

- We're not allowed to let minors TRADE (ie GTA: Liberty City Stories = $3) in rated M games.

- However, we're allowed to let minors RETURN (for a full refund, GTA:LCS = $20) any rated M game with/without a receipt. But if his mom comes in trying to return it, we're allowed to tell her no. I guess if you gotta return rated M crap to EB/Gamestop/Rhino, make your little sibling do it.

- If anyone sells/accepts a trade in/breaks any of the common sense defying rules, that associate is immediately fired, the store manager is fired, and the district manager is given a corrective action up to being terminated. The retarded part is that the store manager could be at home on his day off and he could still be fired if any of the events happens at the store.

I can respect trying to work with the ESRB, and the common sense stuff, but this? Madness.
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Eddy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Weird, in Canada, minors can't trade in games period.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby gs68 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:23 am

And so, disgruntled GameStop employees across the U.S. have a new weapon to use against their managers.
gs68 / TsundeRay - The OLRmy's SF Bay Area representative!
gs68
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Random Chatter