Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

To buy or not to buy: Final Fantasy 11

Of course you can game on the PC as well... what are you pointing and clicking at this week?

To buy or not to buy: Final Fantasy 11

Postby rustyzippo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:48 am

So...
Lately, I've been looking at FF11 pretty hard and thinking about giving it a try. I understand the crew used to play. What should I know about the game before buying it? I remember either Loki or Rob saying it was "totally fucked now" or something along those lines. Any advice which might save me a worthless purchase would be appreciated

P.S.-If I don't get any answers, I'll just have to call in on Sunday. :twisted:
rustyzippo
New Listener
New Listener

Postby ssj100matt » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:57 am

I used to play FF11 a long time ago (around when it came out)... I played for about 6 months (probably 3-4 months of actual play)... The main reason why i got it is because most of my friends got it... But after a while they stopped playing so my drive to play it was zapped... I attempted to play on my own but it wasn't as fun... I got stuck in dumb parties and i was forced to do quests/missions on my own...

All of those weren't so bad but what got me to finally stop was the $ and the demand to play... At the time i was still going to school time and working at an Internship... So i didn't really have that much time to play... And since they force you to pay every month to keep your character around even when your not playing i had to call it quits after 3 months of not playing...

Thats my personal experience with the game... If you have the time, the $ and the attention span (which was another problem with me) to play it then its an alright game for you... I don't know what Skie meant when he said that its "messed up now" but it wouldn't surprise me if the quality of play/players has diminished since i played...

P.S: If you do decide to play don't be a White Mage or a healer character... Otherwise you will be exploited, violated and taken advantage of all the time by other players :P ...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Galois » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:13 am

I played FFXI for about 2.5 years. The main reason that I quit was due to a lack of time.

FFXI is a serious timesink. Be aware of this before you begin. If you don't have hours upon hours to invest in the game, I think you will find that you won't get much out of it.

I was fortunate to find a good group of players to play with when I was a no subjob whitemage running around LaThiene, and stayed with that core group for about 2 years. That made the game much more fun to play, and was probably the main reason that I invested so much time into FFXI.

My main problem with FFXI isn't the necessary time investment, the lack of new endgame content, or the class unbalances (although I do believe that square-enix is making some strides to improving things, but I don't know for sure, since I have not played in about 4 months). My main problem is that a group is basically required to do anything past level 15. And not just any group, but a specific set up in order to get anything done in an efficient manner.

Even after you get in the group, which can take an hour or longer to get together depending on the time and day, but getting to the leveling site can take a long time as well. After that, you will want to spend a few hours getting experience points. Add all of this up, and you're investing 3-4 hours of playtime in just one sitting.

Ok, so I'm complaining a lot about FFXI, but the truth is that I loved the game. I made some good friends playing the game and had a great time working with some of the best players on my server and being a part of an amazing linkshell, even though I was a background member for a relatively short time.

All of my rambling comes down to this: if you have the time to invest in FFXI, I think you can get a lot out of it. However, it takes a while to get to the "fun" stuff in the "endgame" portion of FFXI.

I just don't have those large blocks of time to play FFXI anymore. WoW suits my needs fairly well. I can log on, play for an hour or so, and feel like I have accomplished something. There is plenty to do with a group, but I can do plenty on my own as well.

I think it all comes down to how much time you want to invest.
Galois
New Listener
New Listener

Return to PC & Other Gaming Chatter