Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Discussion Topics: Thoughts on copying Imports

Open forum for non-show specific discussion on Orange Lounge Radio including your suggestions for what you would like to see on the site & show.

Discussion Topics: Thoughts on copying Imports

Postby skie » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:57 pm

What do you guys think, is it OK to copy import games such as DDR?

Or should we be buying legitimite copies, even if they are foreign, and support the makers of the game?

We'll read some of your responses on the air...
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby LOKI » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:28 am

I say copy. The guys got arrested because they were selling copies. You leave a larger footprint when you have a half a million dollar web business selling pirated software vs. you average P2P pirate. This is who the RIAA, MPAA, etc. should be going after. These guys are who are stealing profits from companies.
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby Rychan » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:59 pm

Of course with some modified systems you need to copy a game in order to make it work. If the original doesn't work for you then why bother owning it?

I personally have an import system but I have my share of burned DDR mixes from before I got it.
Rychan
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby JonFields » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:02 pm

I respect our generational friends across the pacific ocean. Any import that I have played, I have bought.

...althought thats only 5 games. Xmen vs Streetfighter (Saturn) Dark Saviour (Saturn) PSO version 2(Dreamcast), PSO EPisode 1 & 2 (GC), PSO Episode 3 (GC)
JonFields
New Listener
New Listener

Postby St00pidBaka » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:28 pm

I believe that copying import games is allright. As long as you don't make any profits by selling them or anything. If you bought the original game by import to the US / where ever than it is ok, for you are still giving the company the profits it should get.

However, making a copy of that original game that you purchased and burning and creating copies to sell is wrong. You are making the profit and the Company which made the game doesn't get the profit / money so it's wrong. That's what all that government mambo-jombo comes in on it. They're cracking down on that.

The only thing I believe you could do for copying however is copying that game to give to a friend because his CD got scratched and doesn't work, etc. Even letting him borrow it, even if you still want to keep that copy. For an example, copying your sibling's import game so that your friend can play it, etc. I believe that even burning a copy to give to ONE friend as a little gift or something is kind of ok - but not great.

There's my two cents.

*drops two pennies*
Got Orange Lounge Radio?
My NNR DDR Scores!
St00pidBaka
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Return to General OLR Chit-Chat