Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

OLR March Madness - Games you wished you nominated?

Open forum for non-show specific discussion on Orange Lounge Radio including your suggestions for what you would like to see on the site & show.

OLR March Madness - Games you wished you nominated?

Postby gs68 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 pm

What are some games that, in hindsight, you should've gotten nominated, especially into the brackets?

Let's be sane and try to limit our lists at oh, 3-5 games tops.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - PS1, PSP (via CV:DXC), 360

Take Castlevania, redo the controls (especially the jumping controls), make it exploration-based a la Metroid, and throw in some RPG elements, and you have this. It was the first Castlevania game in which going from the castle entrance to kicking Dracula's ass was not a matter of going through one room after another, but exploring the hugeness of Castlevania as it was in 1797.

Further adding to the game is the soundtrack, which really immerses you into the game. Out of all the Castlevanias I've played yet (1, RoB, SotN, CotM, PoR, DXC), this game has the darkest soundtrack yet; I lost some sleep over songs like "Abandoned Pit" and "Curse Zone."

Why I didn't nominate it: At the time DMN was taking omnomnominations, I hadn't thoroughly played through the game yet. Plus, this game, like I said, feels rushed (especially the Inverted Castle; one song, "Finale Toccata," plays in 6 different areas and another plays in 3. Speaking of FT, I thought my UMD was scratched when I first heard it.) and has ways to "legally" cheat in the game (Shield Rod combos, a couple of rare enemy-dropped weapons, etc.), which really ruins the challenge; I've managed to beat the 2nd-to-last boss in about 5-10 seconds, Dracula in about 1-2 minutes.
---
Cave Story - PC

Another Metroid-like game. To really appreciate this game, there's some things you need to consider:
- This game was developed over the course of 5 years.
- ...by one person.
- It's free.

This game was developed at the author's own pace, and because he's not bound by deadlines or anything like that, he was able to take his sweet time and iron out this game. A quote from an interview with him:
http://www.tigsource.com/features/interview_pixel.html wrote:TIGSource: Since releasing Doukutsu, have you received any requests to develop games commercially? Would you ever consider it?

Pixel: Some people say they'd like to see Cave Story come out on household gaming devices, but I'm not sure how to go about that. If I were to get into commercial development, I worry that I might not be able to create things the way I want to, so...

TIGSource: Do you prefer to work alone? Would you ever consider working with other people on games?

Pixel: I've worked with others on projects. It was quite fun. However, when you carry out the planning and creation as a group, my impression is that you lose a lot of flexibility and have to take on all kinds of new troublesome issues. That kind of situation is for the pros (the ones who make games as a job), and I don't see a great deal of merit in it for individuals.

Despite the one-man development--despite the fact that this game costs as much as Y**is, it's a fantastic Metroid-like game that takes about 4-6 hours to beat on your first try. The plot is a unique one too--instead of being someone who already knows what's happening, you're a robot with no memory of anything besides your basic functions--he's in the dark about the story as much as you are, so the game allows you to really absorb the role of the main character.

Why I didn't nominate it: I simply forgot. I rushed my Top 16 list because at the time, DMN would let me submit my Cagematch song only if I made a Top 16. Given time to think, however, I would've included this.
gs68 / TsundeRay - The OLRmy's SF Bay Area representative!
gs68
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Re: OLR March Madness - Games you wished you nominated?

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:38 pm

gs68 wrote:What are some games that, in hindsight, you should've gotten nominated, especially into the brackets?

Let's be sane and try to limit our lists at oh, 3-5 games tops.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - PS1, PSP (via CV:DXC), 360

Take Castlevania, redo the controls (especially the jumping controls), make it exploration-based a la Metroid, and throw in some RPG elements, and you have this. It was the first Castlevania game in which going from the castle entrance to kicking Dracula's ass was not a matter of going through one room after another, but exploring the hugeness of Castlevania as it was in 1797.

Further adding to the game is the soundtrack, which really immerses you into the game. Out of all the Castlevanias I've played yet (1, RoB, SotN, CotM, PoR, DXC), this game has the darkest soundtrack yet; I lost some sleep over songs like "Abandoned Pit" and "Curse Zone."

Why I didn't nominate it: At the time DMN was taking omnomnominations, I hadn't thoroughly played through the game yet. Plus, this game, like I said, feels rushed (especially the Inverted Castle; one song, "Finale Toccata," plays in 6 different areas and another plays in 3. Speaking of FT, I thought my UMD was scratched when I first heard it.) and has ways to "legally" cheat in the game (Shield Rod combos, a couple of rare enemy-dropped weapons, etc.), which really ruins the challenge; I've managed to beat the 2nd-to-last boss in about 5-10 seconds, Dracula in about 1-2 minutes.
---
Cave Story - PC

Another Metroid-like game. To really appreciate this game, there's some things you need to consider:
- This game was developed over the course of 5 years.
- ...by one person.
- It's free.

This game was developed at the author's own pace, and because he's not bound by deadlines or anything like that, he was able to take his sweet time and iron out this game. A quote from an interview with him:
http://www.tigsource.com/features/interview_pixel.html wrote:TIGSource: Since releasing Doukutsu, have you received any requests to develop games commercially? Would you ever consider it?

Pixel: Some people say they'd like to see Cave Story come out on household gaming devices, but I'm not sure how to go about that. If I were to get into commercial development, I worry that I might not be able to create things the way I want to, so...

TIGSource: Do you prefer to work alone? Would you ever consider working with other people on games?

Pixel: I've worked with others on projects. It was quite fun. However, when you carry out the planning and creation as a group, my impression is that you lose a lot of flexibility and have to take on all kinds of new troublesome issues. That kind of situation is for the pros (the ones who make games as a job), and I don't see a great deal of merit in it for individuals.

Despite the one-man development--despite the fact that this game costs as much as Y**is, it's a fantastic Metroid-like game that takes about 4-6 hours to beat on your first try. The plot is a unique one too--instead of being someone who already knows what's happening, you're a robot with no memory of anything besides your basic functions--he's in the dark about the story as much as you are, so the game allows you to really absorb the role of the main character.

Why I didn't nominate it: I simply forgot. I rushed my Top 16 list because at the time, DMN would let me submit my Cagematch song only if I made a Top 16. Given time to think, however, I would've included this.

Well as you know, I actually put La Mulana on my list... although a) it was so low it didn't even make it into the initial 64, and b) few people have heard of the game anyway, outside of that very helpful (if not funny) video walkthrough of the game posted on youtube.

In actuality, though... I decided to pick up Cave Story again because I've neglected it for far too long... and now that La Mulana (and the HELL TEMPLE) is a distant fond memory, I can go back to it and try and complete it some more!
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby letshavetea » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:21 pm

Hotel Dusk Room 215

I didn't nominate it because... I totally blanked on the whole nominating thing.... and... I didn't play the game until last week.... and I doubt anyone here has heard of it / played it

Also I'd like to have nominated Line Rider. Just... to see how it would have gone.

Banjo Kazooie would have been interesting too...

and Pikmin....
letshavetea
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby gs68 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:30 pm

DarkTetsuya wrote:In actuality, though... I decided to pick up Cave Story again because I've neglected it for far too long... and now that La Mulana (and the HELL TEMPLE) is a distant fond memory, I can go back to it and try and complete it some more!

and then get schooled by Hell / Sacred Ground =P
gs68 / TsundeRay - The OLRmy's SF Bay Area representative!
gs68
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 pm

gs68 wrote:
DarkTetsuya wrote:In actuality, though... I decided to pick up Cave Story again because I've neglected it for far too long... and now that La Mulana (and the HELL TEMPLE) is a distant fond memory, I can go back to it and try and complete it some more!

and then get schooled by Hell / Sacred Ground =P

I dunno Cave Story just didn't... 'do it for me' in the same way La Mulana did... it's fun, sure but it's just lacking something... (And I don't mean fanart of our hero in a skimpy swimsuit.... 'OH GOD!!!!' is right.)
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby alphacananogram » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:18 pm

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
alphacananogram
Supporter
Supporter

Postby act_deft » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:04 pm

Uniracers.

Even though, it wouldn't have entered the tournament <_<
I love that game so much that I should've nominated it...

No, MGS4 isn't coming to the 360. Never was, never will.
If I'm mistaken, Ranma gets a free copy of it. =P
act_deft
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby letshavetea » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:52 pm

UNIRACERS FTW

I thought I was the only one who appreciated that game...

back home it had a cult following back in they day thanks to me haha
letshavetea
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby ssj100matt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:12 pm

alphacananogram wrote:Super Smash Bros. Brawl

NO.... not by a long shot

Hands down Castlevania: SoTn should have made it... I put it on my list... I think it just got outdone by too many people voting for CrysASS...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby DarkTetsuya » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:05 pm

ssj100matt wrote:
alphacananogram wrote:Super Smash Bros. Brawl

NO.... not by a long shot

Hands down Castlevania: SoTn should have made it... I put it on my list... I think it just got outdone by too many people voting for CrysASS...

Yeah I mean who would vote for that ga--- oh wait. :P
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to General OLR Chit-Chat